Sunday, May 07, 2006

Romanians and "kinda sucky" Americans

I just noticed how I described myself and the blog... "I am Romanian" ... I am "another Romanian student"... I wish I had angry things to say about this, but I don't. I was educated by everything happening around me, to be and feel like this... since I was 2yo. I am glad when I see how this identity was created but at the same time, I am a lost cause... they completely corruped my soul... It is almost impossible to change my mind-set, values, etc... from the organic feeling of belonging to the nation I was born part of.

WTF... i don't know why I am rambling about this. I just saw one of my compatriots' online image (ie. profile) in which he was going on and on about how Romanians are better(I think the reason was that "romanians go clubbing") and Americans kinda suck... And I have met a few other people that explained to me what wrong of a perception americans have ab their country... asking if they have pizza and sponge bob, when in fact they go to a very good private school, and many(I am pretty sure they said "most," actually) people go to such schools.

They were all reminders of me the first year here... how easy it is not to see our own damn forests because of the trees around us. Just a flagdizzle for the ones that are tempted to do the same... bitching about someone else's forest without even knowing what's behind the first line of trees of your forest sounds just plain stupid for any mildly-intelligent person.

1 comment:

Geeky Tai-Tai said...

I found your blog quite by accident through a link from another Romanian blog. Your blog is very interesting and thought-provoking. As an American myself, I have to agree that there are a lot of "kinda sucky Americans" in this world. I've met many of them here in Singapore!

My husband and I are American ex-pats living in Singapore. We have become close friends with a Romanian couple here. I think they must know every Romanian living on this tiny island. They have included us in many important occasions (Easter, their daughter's first birthday, etc.) I never imagined us learning Romanian culture here in Asia.
Coincidentally, our Goddaughters in the U.S. were adopted from Romania.
I noticed your last post saying that you're going to be "dead" for a while. I hope that you come back, it would be interesting to read more of your thoughts about living in the U.S. -- Diana
http://americaninsingapore.blogspot.com